The “Require a Plan Act” was such a waste of time, I can’t even believe I have to write about it. It requires President Obama to submit a second budget if his first one for 2014 isn’t balanced, even though the budget is 100% Congress’ job.
SEC. 2. PURPOSE AND FINDINGS.
(a) PURPOSE: to require the President to submit to Congress another budget if the President’s budget for fiscal year 2014 is not balanced.
The President has submitted his budget on-time once since taking office.
SEC. 3. SUBMISSION OF A SUPPLEMENTAL UNIFIED BUDGET.
(a) IN GENERAL.—If the President’s budget for fiscal year 2014, results in a projected deficit in every fiscal year for which estimates are provided then the President has to submit an additional budget that is balanced..
(b) CONTENTS OF SUPPLEMENTAL UNIFIED BUDGET.—Not later than April 1, 2013, the President shall submit to Congress an addition to his budget that includes—
* An estimate of the earliest fiscal year in which the additional budget will eliminate the deficit
* A detailed description of additional policies to be implemented in order to achieve such result
* An evaluation of what agency functions can be eliminated or consolidated. (Fleming Amendment)
* An explanation of the differences between the President’s original budget for fiscal year 2014 and the extra budget referred to in this subsection.
* An estimate of the cost per taxpayer of the deficit for each year until the budget is balanced. (Messer Amendement)
The bill passed the House on February 6th. It moves into the Senate, where it is almost certain to die.