The 2016 Election is finally here; in this episode, we take a look at the job performance of our 114th Congress.
Please support Congressional Dish:
Click here to contribute with PayPal or Bitcoin; click the PayPal "Make it Monthly" checkbox to create a monthly subscription
Click here to support Congressional Dish for each episode via Patreon
Mail Contributions to: 2244 Oak Grove Rd, P.O. Box 30507, Walnut Creek, CA 94598
Click here to shop on Amazon – Congressional Dish will receive a referral commission.
Thank you for supporting truly independent media!
Vote on Trade Promotion Authority (Fast Track)
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees' Retirement Act (The final version of fast track)
Bill Highlighted in This Episode
S. 764: A bill to reauthorize and amend the National Sea Grant College Program Act and for other purposes (The GMO labeling law)
The real title should be "National bioengineered food disclosure standard" but S. 764 (about the college program) was used as a vehicle to get the GMO labeling bill into law.
- Food that "has been modified through…(DNA) techniques" using a modification that "could not otherwise be obtained through conventional breeding or found in nature".
- Food intended for human consumption
- By July 29, 2018, the Secretary of Agriculture has to establish a "national mandatory bioengineered food disclosure standard"
- Animals fed bioengineered foods will not be labeled as bioengineered themselves
- Regulations will determine how much of a bioengineered substance needs to be present for the food itself to be considering bioengineered
- The labels can be text, symbol, or electronic or digital link; the manufacturers get to pick
Foods served in restaurants and "very small food manufacturers" are excluded from the regulations
- "Very small" is not defined.
States are prohibited from enacting their own bioengineering labeling laws.
Recommended Congressional Dish Episodes
Article: Puerto Rico Control Board Names Carrion Chair Amid Protests by Katherine Greifeld, Bloomberg Markets, September 30, 2016.
Article: John Boehner, House Speaker, Will Resign From Congress by Jennifer Steinhauer, New York Times, September 25, 2016.
Article: Former House Speaker John Boehner Joins Washington Law Firm by Elizabeth Olson, New York Times, September 20, 2016.
Article: Heavy Smoker John Boehner Joins Tobacco Company's Board by Matt Egan, CNN, September 15, 2016.
Blog: Deep conflicts of interest plague Obama's newly appointed fiscal control board in Puerto Rico by Saqib Bhatti, The Hill, September 9, 2016.
Article: Who are the Members of the Puerto Rico Fiscal Control Board? by Patricia Guadalupe, NBC News, August 31, 2016.
Article: U.S. Dropped 23,144 Bombs on Muslim-Majority Countries in 2015 by Adam Johnson, Alternet, January 10, 2016.
Music Presented in This Episode
Design by Only Child Imaginations