Three months of Congress condensed into under one hour. In this episode, we take a look at our new laws, some controversial bills, and the most interesting hearings from September, October, and November. This episode is also a call for feedback: Which hearings sound most interesting to you?
Please support Congressional Dish:
- Click here to contribute with PayPal or Bitcoin; click the PayPal “Make it Monthly” checkbox to create a monthly subscription
- Click here to support Congressional Dish for each episode via Patreon
- Mail Contributions to:
5753 Hwy 85 North #4576
Crestview, FL 32536
Thank you for supporting truly independent media!
Hearings Worth Watching
Please email your top 2 hearing requests to Jen at congressional dish dot com or Tweet them to @JenBriney
- House Ways and Means Committee: Trading Views: TPP Hearing – Environment Chapter, November 17, 2015.
- Dr. Joshua Meltzer, Senior Fellow in Global Economy and Development, Brookings Institution
- Alexander von Bismarck, Executive Director, Environmental Investigation Agency
- Ilana Solomon, Responsible Trade Program Director, Sierra Club
- Dr. Rashid Sumaila, Professor, Fisheries Economics Unit of the University of British Columbia
- House Ways and Means Committee: Trading Views: Real Debates on Key Issues in TPP, December 2, 2015
- Matt Porterfield, Deputy Director and Adjunct Professor, Harrison Institute, Georgetown University Law Center
- Ted Posner, Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Michael Smart, Vice President, Rock Creek Global Advisors LLC
- Thea Lee, Deputy Chief of Staff, AFL-CIO
- House Committee on Armed Services: Outside Views on the Strategy for Iraq and Syria
- John McLaughlin, Former Acting Direction of Central Intelligence
- Ambassador Ryan Crocker, former Ambassador to Syria and Iraq
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs: Charting the Arctic: Security, Economic, and Resource Opportunities, November 17, 2015
- Admiral Robert Papp, Jr., USCG, Retired: U.S. Special Representative for the Arctic, U.S. Department of State
- Rear Admiral Timothy C. Gallaudet, USN: Oceanographer and NavigatorU.S. Department of Defense
- Vice Admiral Charles D. Michel, USCG: Vice CommandantU.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Senate Armed Services Committee: The Future of Warfare, November 4, 2015.
- Keith B. Alexander Director (Former) National Security Agency
- Bryan Clark Senior Fellow Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments
- Paul Scharre Senior Fellow and Director Center for a New American Security->20YY Warfare Initiative
- Peter W. Singer Senior Fellow New America
- House Committee on Agriculture: American Agriculture and Our National Security, November 4, 2015.
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: Examining Law Enforcement Use of Cell Phone Tracking Devices, October 21, 2015
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce: Update on Low Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Issues, October 28, 2015.
- The Honorable Michael Lumpkin, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict
- The Honorable Matthew Armstrong, Broadcasting Board of Governors
- Brigadier General Charles Moore, Joint Staff, J-39
- House Committee on Energy and Natural Resources: Strategic Petroleum Reserve and Energy Security, October 6, 2015.
- House Committee on Armed Services: Countering Adversarial Propaganda: Charting an Effective Course in the Contested Information Environment, October 22, 2015.
- Committee on Energy & Commerce: Broadcasting Ownership in the 21st Century, September 25, 2015.
National Emergencies Extended
- National Emergency in respect to Sudan, originally declared in November 1997
- National Emergency in respect to the attacks of September 11, 2001, originally declared on September 14, 2001
- National Emergency in respect to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, originally declared in October 2006.
Links to Laws, Bills, & Hearings
Campaign Contribution Info
- Rep. Garland “Andy” Barr of Kentucky
- Rep. French Hill of Arkansas
- Rep. Ann Wagner of Missouri
- Rep. Todd Rokita of Indiana
- Rep. Mark Amodei of Nevada
- Rep. Tom Marino of Pennsylvania
- Rep. Don Young of Alaska
- Rep. Joe Barton of Texas
- IMF document: Republic of Congo: Letter of Intent, Memorandum of Economic and Financial Policies, and Technical Memorandum of Understanding, International Monetary Fund, June 29, 2006.
- Article: Ward in Congo: U.S. Military will Continue Supporting Security Assistance Activities by Kenneth Fidler, US AFRICOM Public Affairs, April 27, 2009.
- Article: Joseph Kabila and Where the Election in Congo Went Wrong by Mvemba Phezo Dizolele, Foreign Affairs Magazine, November 28, 2011.
- Research Paper: Toward Comprehensive Reform of America’s Emergency Law Regime by Patrick Thronson, University of Michigan’s Journal of Law Reform, March 23, 2013.
- Article: NSA Snooping Was Only the Beginning. Meet the Spy Chief Leading Us Into CyberWar by James Bamford, Wired Magazine, June 12, 2013.
- Article: U.S. Repeals Propaganda Ban, Spreads Government-Made News to Americans by John Hudson, Foreign Policy Magazine, July 14, 2013.
- Article: Special Report: America’s perpetual state of emergency by Gregory Korte, USA Today, October 23, 2014.
- Article: Tiger Resources’ Congo copper mine gets $160 million investment Reuters, October 23, 2015.
- Article: Congress Acts to Avoid Commuter Rail Shutdown by Daniel Vock, Governing, October 29, 2015.
- Article: The Best Way to Prevent Drunk Driving? That’s Debatable by Daniel Vock, Governing, November 17, 2015.
- Article: Congress approves $305B highway bill by Bart Jansen, USA Today, December 3, 2015.
- Article: After a Decade, Congress Passes Transportation Funding by Daniel Vock, GovTech.com, December 3, 2015.
- Article: Cyber bill’s final language likely to anger privacy advocates by Cory Bennett, The Hill, December 7, 2015.
- Website: Private, For-Profit Demo Project for the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Music Presented in This Episode
Design by Only Child Imaginations