We have a new law! President Obama signed a bill loaning a billion dollars and giving another $150 million to Ukraine. In this episode, we find out exactly what’s in it and why we are giving money to Ukraine – and other countries in Central and Eastern Europe.
Highlighted pdf of the Ukraine Aid bill that was signed into law by President Obama:
Section 3: Lists seventeen aspects of United States policy toward Ukraine.
Section 5: The Secretary of State will assist the new Ukraine government, the European Union, and “other appropriate countries” with investigative assistance and training to “support the identification, seizure, and return to the Government of Ukraine of assets linked to acts of corruption.”
- Will be aided by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network of the Department of the Treasury
- Specifically names the former President, his family, and other government officials.
Section 6: $50,000,000 will be given to the Secretary of State for 2015- either directly or by giving money to non-governmental organizations -for election monitoring, “diversifying Ukraine’s economy, trade, and energy supplies, including at the national, regional, and local level,” expanding their access to independent media, and supporting political and economic reforms. The President will make the actual strategy for how this will be done.
Section 7: $100,000,000 will be used to provide defense articles, defense services, and military training “to countries in Central and Eastern Europe, including Ukraine.”
- Additional amounts are allowed to be appropriated under other provisions of law.
Section 8: Sanctions will be levied against any former or current Ukrainian government officials, anyone acting on behalf of the old government who the President says ordered or controlled acts of violence against antigovernment protestors on November 21, 2013. Sanctions also will be levied against Russian government officials, “close associates” and family members of that official that the President says has expropriated Ukrainian or Russian private or public assets for personal gain, corruption related to government contracts, the extraction of natural resources, bribery, or transferring their proceeds from these things to other countries
Sanctions include exclusion from the United States and blocking and prohibiting all transactions of property and/or money that is either in the United States or in the possession of “United States persons”.
- This is the Citizens United version of “United States persons” as “persons” includes “legal entities” – corporations – and the law specifically says that it includes foreign branches of United States corporations.
- The sanctions don’t apply to the importation of goods.
Section 10: Annual report detailing the capability of Russia’s military, Russia’s space program, Russia’s nuclear program.
Information about Moldova
- People in one region are asking to be a part of Russia.
- One of those two huge natural gas pipelines goes through Moldova. Actually goes into Moldova, back into Ukraine, and then into Romania.
Information about Lithuania
- Russia has refused Lithuanian exports – dairy, pork, cars – which hurts Lithuanian businesses because Russia buys 20% of their crap.
- March 14, 2014: Lithuania’s Prime Minister said the political crisis in Ukraine should steer Lithuanian public opinion towards becoming a part of the European Union in 2015.
- March 17, 2014: A plan to establish a joint Polish, Ukrainian, and Lithuanian military brigade was “re-launched”
Information about NATO
- Since we promised not to expand East, NATO has absorbed Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, Slovania, Albania, and Croatia.
- 2008: “A powerful military bloc appearing near our borders will be perceived in Russia as a direct threat to the security of our country.” – President Putin of Russia.
- Article V of the North Atlantic Treaty says an attack on one NATO country is considered an attack on all NATO countries.
Music in This Episode
Intro and Exit music: Tired of Being Lied To by David Ippolito (found on Music Alley by mevio)
I Disagree by 20 Riverside (found on Music Alley by mevio)